Papou's Tzatziki


Me, Papou, and Jean-Paul in Katerini, GR - June 2004
Papou Aristoklis taught me many lessons that I will cherish and try to instill in my own kids one day. He didn't smile often, but when he did, it was quite contagious - he could light an entire room with that smile!

I can hear his stories in my head. When I do something wrong I ask myself, "What would Papou say"? In every single one of my birthday and Christmas cards, he wrote to me "Ypotagi stous gonis" (Obey your parents). Though no longer present on this earth, by no means is he lost. He lives in all of his children and will forever remain a strong presence in our family.

Papou never cooked, but he loved the kitchen. As far as I could remember, if he wasn't napping on the couch or taking a stroll around the house, he was in the kouzina doing one of the following: reading, writing, or critiquing Yiayia...ever so often saying, "Min vasis poli alati, Koula" (Don't put too much salt, Koula)!

Papou didn't teach me much about 'cooking' - that was mostly Yiayia's role - but when he wanted to show me how to cut a loaf of bread perfectly, or chop vegetables ever so meticulously - I made sure I paid close attention - because it was very rare.

Years ago, Papou called me to the kouzina and asked me to pay attention to how he makes Tzatziki. That day - as his little helper - I got to witness Papou finally 'cook' something, and that memory will forever remain meaningful, along with his recipe.

Papou Aristoklis' Tzatziki

You Will Need:
1 Cup of Greek Strained Yogurt
4-5 Garlic Cloves, Minced
1/2 Peeled Cucumber, Grated and Strained
4-5 Springs of Dill, Chopped
Sea Salt to Taste
2 Kalamata Olives & Olive Oil to Garnish
What You'll Need
METHOD 1:
Grate the Cucumber, and place on a dry paper towel. Over the sink, squeeze all the water out of the cucumber until firm.
Straining excess water out of grated cucumber
 METHOD 2: Combine all ingredients into the bowl and mix well. Add Sea Salt and adjust taste to your liking.

METHOD 3: Drizzle a bit of olive oil and add 2 olives to garnish.

Kali Orexi!
- Sophia Eleni 

Comments

  1. this post made me tear prima! Loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Prima! I'm glad I can share one of his hidden gems!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can't wait to create this masterpiece! Did I miss the post about the awesome pita bread that goes great with this??? Thank you for sharing such wonderful traditional Greek recipes!

    Love it! <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Melissa! I haven't created a post about pita (yet), but it's in the works! I appreciate your support!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts