To another new beginning!

I'm ashamed to say I took a two year break from such a meaningful blog, but the past is the past and as the Greek's say - "...." -  Well, actually I don't know the Greek Philosophy for "the past is the past", but I'm sure one of my fellow Greek's will school me on it after reading this post.

During the recession in 2010, I was laid off after three years at a company that jump-started my career. Naturally I was worried about how my husband Carlos and I were going to pay our bills off of one salary. Luckily, my husband and parents encouraged me to re-visit the idea of going back to school.

I tried searching for jobs, but there was nothing out there. Though I had great experience, I felt silly competing with college graduates who had the one thing I didn't - a college degree. I was afforded the opportunity to start where I had left off and I was ready for the challenge.

It would only take me three semesters to complete my degree in Media Studies & Communications. Though I had trouble with school in the past, working at Nat Nast had really helped me grow and mature so I knew this time around would be taken seriously.

I was finally finishing what I had started. I could not be more proud of the struggle I had been through to get me to that point, and in May 2012, I finally graduated after a 10-year-long journey.

As a daughter of immigrants, I am extremely proud of my parents for consistently encouraging me to apply and challenge myself. I know I can succeed with whatever I put my mind to and so much more if I continue to apply myself.

That being said, I am once again in a position to finish what I had started - a blog which honors my Greek Heritage and my Yiayia Kiki's Kouzina - where we love, laugh, eat, and share recipes. 

Kali Orexi,
- Sophia Eleni


Comments

Popular Posts